Sunday, March 17, 2013

Using Shades of Green - Three Works in Progress

What better way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day than paintings with green in them?

For the first painting I blocked in areas of sunlit trees in the background and left a clear sunny area for the pasture using combinations of aureolin, Antwerp blue and French ultramarine blue.

Then I put in mid tones and the dark shadows before I set it aside to dry.


Pasture I

For the next painting I used a mixture of raw sienna, Antwerp blue and French ultramarine blue.

I applied the paint to dry paper and softened some of the edges slightly by adding water to the paper together with a little more paint.

When I was pleased with the result it was the set aside to dry.



Green Background A

For the final painting I first masked out a birch tree to one side of the painting and while the masking fluid was drying I mixed various greens using Antwerp blue, aureolin, raw sienna, burnt sienna and French ultramarine blue.

I poured some of the paint mixtures onto the paper and rolled it around to create interesting patterns.

Once it was dry I removed the miskit and painted the shadow onto the one side of the birch trunk.














Forest 1

I will post these painting at a later date as they are completed.

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and look at the artwork. I hope you will return often.

No comments:

Post a Comment