Monday, January 9, 2017

Tied Up 2 - A Work in Progress

I came across this piece that I had started a number of years ago (see post on 22 June 2013) and I thought I would like to get more work on it completed.

With the boats tied to their mooring lines I felt an evening scene would be appropriate.

I started with aureolin at the horizon line and worked upward in the sky, then added new gamboge above the first colour, followed by a little alizarin crimson into the top of the sky.

I added a little burnt sienna to the alizarin crimson and brushed in a few clouds into the sky.

Using new gamboge with a little raw sienna, I put in the water just below the horizon line. This was followed by adding in alizarin crimson and painting down to the top of the wave curling toward the beach.

Leaving some areas white for the waves rolling up on the beach, I put in the sand using mixes of burnt sienna and raw sienna.

I will post this painting at a later date once I have completed the boats.