Saturday, February 2, 2019

Vertical 1 - A Work in Progress

Today I slipped coming down the stairs and broke my big toe and landed on my knees, badly bruising both of them.

Needless to say I didn't move around too much after that happened so I spent some time working on this painting (see posts on 03 October and 05 December 2018).

After looking at this painting before I started, I decided that the large white areas needed to be made smaller, otherwise which ever colours I put in would overpower everything.

Using a pencil, I reduced the size of the large areas and changed the direction of some of the spaces.

Using a mixture of French ultramarine blue and alizarin crimson for a deep rich purple, I added in some strong dark lines going in various directions.

I added a couple of areas of new gamboge to bring in light.

Next I added cadmium red for some rich colour and then mixed it with the yellow for a bright orange.

Using a mix of the yellow and the blue I applied some more areas of green into the painting.

Looking at the few remaining white spaces I knew that I wanted to keep some of the white, but not in such large areas.

It was time to leave it alone and give some thought to it when I wasn't hurting.

I will post this painting again once it has been completed.