Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hidden - A Work in Progress

Today I wanted to work on something small that wouldn't take a lot of time so I pulled out Sponge Work A (see post on 29 December 2012).

After looking at it for a little while I could see the shape of a rabbit among the foliage. So I changed the name of this piece to Hidden.

I washed in the background with new gamboge leaving the rabbit shape untouched.

Using a little alizarin crimson I painted the inside of the ear and the nose.

Next using burnt sienna I applied washes over the head, ears and body of the rabbit gradually darkening some areas to create the illusion of roundness.

While that was drying I applied a mixture of alizarin crimson, French ultramarine blue and burnt sienna and put in the eye.

I will post this painting at a later date once I have completed the rabbit on worked on the foliage.