Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Communion - A Work in Progress

Today I thought I would do a little more work on this painting that I started earlier this year (see posts on 06 May, 18 July, 02, 09, and 19 August 2016).

I started with the wine decanter and put in the edge of the tray that would show through the clear glass. For this I used mixtures of raw sienna, burnt sienna and French ultramarine blue.

With burnt sienna and French ultramarine blue I started to add areas where the background panelling was showing through the glass.

Using various mixtures of raw sienna, new gamboge and burnt sienna were used for the reflections on the glass of the brass plate.

At the bottom of the decanter the white cloth showing through the glass was put on with French ultramarine blue and burnt sienna.

Using a pale wash of alizarin crimson I indicated the darkest areas of the wine in the decanter and then put in the reflected colour of the wine onto the cloth.

Next I mixed a large batch of a warm dark colour using French ultramarine blue, alizarin crimson and burnt sienna which can also be paled down to a warm grey by adding water.

First I put in the areas of the darkest colour starting at the top of the stopper, working down through the handle and finally, gradually completing the empty glass to where the edge of the tray showed through the decanter.

Adding more water to the dark mixture I started at the stopper once again and worked my way down the decanter the same way as I did for the darkest colour being careful to leave the small areas of white paper showing through for the reflected light.

Below the edge of the tray I put in the white cloth that shows through the glass just above the wine.

I will post this painting at a later date once I have completed the wine decanter.

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and look at the artwork.