Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spanish Beauty - A Work in Progress

I decided to do a little more work on this painting that I had started in the Brian Smith workshop (see post on 10 April 2011 and for the start of this painting see posting on 13 May 2011).

I blocked in some of the hair around the face using pure Payne's grey.

This is to help with getting the correct value of the face for when the next layer of colour is painted to give more shape and contour to the face.

I added a little of the Payne's grey to the flesh tone mixture for the shadow colour.

Shadows were painted above the eyelid, beneath the eye, jaw, nose, in the nostril, crease of the chin and cheek.

A little alizarin crimson was added to the flesh tone to warm the some areas of the face on the forehead, temple, nose and cheek.

The lips were painted using the by adding more alizarin crimson to the warm flesh colour.

Using Payne's grey the eyebrow, eyelashes and pupil of the eye were lightly blocked in.

I will post this painting again once I have more of it completed.

Thank you for looking at my artwork.