Friday, January 22, 2016


Today I wanted to finish this painting that I have been working on for a little while (see posts on 10, 12, 17, 21 and 24 December 2015 and 02, 05, 08, 12 and 17 January 2016).

After looking at this painting for about a week I feel it just needs one more change.

The white line on the bottom of the hull is a little too thick and needs to be thinned along the center part to give the boat a little more shape.

Using pure cadmium red I painted my change line over the white paint.

Next I mixed the darker red colour which was against the white line of cadmium red, alizarin crimson and a touch of ultramarine blue.

Once this base colour was put on I blended it upward on the hull gradually adding more cadmium red to the mix.

Using pure titanium white I removed any of the minor "wiggle" lines of red.

At point I added more white to some of the sail reflections closer to the boat to make them stand out a little more.

Once the paint was totally dry I applied three coats of acrylic gloss medium to the painting to seal and protect it as well as bring up the colour.

I would like to thank returning collector Mr. Jiri Spirk of Lakefield, Ontario for commissioning me to do this painting of their yacht as a gift for his wife Janna.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my artwork and I hope you will return often.