Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Autumn Rapids 1 - Work in Progress

Today I wanted to work with acrylic so I pulled out some of my partially completed canvases and chose this one that that I had started many years ago (see post on 11 October 2010).

I began by adding more colour and texture to the bark on the maples trees using mixtures of burnt sienna, ultramarine blue and titanium white.

Using the same colours for the maples, I added some dead tree trunks into the background on the far side of the river.

I darkened the foreground rocks slightly and mottled the colour on them so they were not just one flat shade of grey.

Now it was time to add the grasses and growies into the foreground. For this is put in the base layer with mixtures of raw sienna and burnt sienna.

From there I added ultramarine blue to the base colours and added in various shades of green throughout the foreground.

Using various mixtures of Cadmium red, cadmium yellow, Hansa yellow and alizarin crimson I added a little more colour onto the maple trees on the far side of the river and then added the bright colours into the tops of the foreground trees.

Next I added a few smaller trees at the base of the birch trees, and then scattered some fallen leaves throughout the grasses and on top of the rocks.

Lastly, I added some maple leaves throughout the background as though they had fallen from the branches and were carried away by the wind.

I will post this painting at a later date once it has been completed.