Thursday, July 11, 2019

ACEO - Northern Island 1

Today the temperatures are 86F (30C) with the humidity making it feel like 104F (40C). We are under a Meteorological Alert for severe thunder storms, a large hail warning, flash floods and the possibility of tornadoes and winds of 50mph (80kmph).

I thought I would stay inside out of the heat and humidity and work on this painting that I had started many years ago (see posts on 14 June 2013 and 22 December 2016).

I started by painting in the under paint of the rocks with a mix of burnt sienna and alizarin crimson.

Using various mixtures of Antwerp blue, French ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, raw sienna and new gamboge, I painted the trees on the islands, beginning with those in the background being the lightest green and gradually darkening the colour while working forward to those on the large island.















Next using various mixtures of burnt sienna, raw sienna, alizarin crimson and French ultramarine blue I added the shapes and shading onto the rocks, again beginning on the background islands and working forward with darker colour and more details.

With a mixture of the two blues and burnt sienna I dry brushed in the water leaving some areas of the paper white.

Using the rock colour I put in a few reflections of the rocks into some of the white areas.

Lastly I put a lone seagull into the sky.

If you would like more information about ACEO please go to my post on 11 March 2010.

The ACEO shown here is an original watercolour painting using Artist quality Winsor & Newton paint on 140lb. Arches 100% rag, acid free watercolour paper. It is priced at $20.00 and sold unframed.

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and look at the artwork. I hope you will return often.

No comments:

Post a Comment