Thursday, December 28, 2017

ACEO - Winter Evening 1

It was on the chilly side this morning, with the temperature at -13F (-25C) and the wind chill making it feel like -27F (-33C). The snow under my feet made that crackling sound with each step I took on my way to do the barn chores.

The nice thing is that it is supposed to warm up this afternoon to a high of 1F (-17C) with the wind chill at -13F (-25C).

Once I warmed up after having breakfast and a second cup of tea, I pulled out this little painting that I had started earlier this year (see posts on 11 January and 08 February 2017).

I started by using various greens using mixtures of Antwerp blue, French ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, raw sienna and new gamboge, beginning with the trees on the distant horizon.

On the slightly closer trees I darkened the greens on the pine needles and for the closest trees I darkened the colour a little more and put in a single dead tree trunk using a light green with a small amount of burnt sienna.















Using French ultramarine blue with a small amount of burnt sienna and a lot of water I washed in the shadows across the snow.

Lastly, I used various mixes of raw sienna, burnt sienna and alizarin crimson I put in the grasses and growies at the base of the pine trees, and a few areas where they came out through the snow

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and enjoy the artwork. I hope you will return often.

If you would like more information about ACEO please go to my post on 11 March 2010.

The ACEO shown here is an original watercolour painting using Artist quality Winsor & Newton paint on 140lb. Fabriano 100% cotton, acid free watercolour paper. It is priced at $20.00 and sold unframed.

No comments:

Post a Comment