Wednesday, July 27, 2016

ACEO - Autumn River 1

Today I wanted to complete this painting that I started last year (see post on June 2015).

Using French ultramarine blue I put in the sky and the river and set it aside to dry.

While the painting was drying I mixed various autumn colours for the tree leaves using raw sienna, new gamboge, aureolin, burnt sienna, alizarin crimson and cadmium yellow.

I started with the trees in the background first and then used raw sienna to put the reflections into the water.

Again the painting was set aside to dry.

Next I mixed the tree trunk colour using French ultramarine blue and burnt sienna and then, I painted in the tree trunks of the maples in the middle area of land followed by the ones that were on the right side in the foreground.

While the tree trunks were drying I put in the grasses and growies in the middle areas and in the foreground using mixes of raw sienna, burnt sienna, new gamboge and cadmium yellow.

Using a sponge I put in the leaves on the maple trees in the middle area with mainly yellow mixes and a few, with areas of orange.

I did the same with the foreground maple trees, using a smaller amount of the yellow mixes and more of the orange mixtures.

Next I put the reflections in the water from the middle trees.

Lastly, using pure cadmium red, I dotted in a few brightly coloured leaves throughout the painting to create interest.

If you would like more information about ACEO please go to my post on 11 March 2010.

The ACEO shown here is an original watercolour painting using Artist quality Windsor & Newton paint on 140lb. Arches 100% rag, acid free watercolour paper. It is priced at $20.00 and sold unframed.

No comments:

Post a Comment