Monday, April 11, 2016

ACEO - Sailboat 5 and 6

Today I am painting with the Lakefield Creative Art Guild and I wanted to complete these two paintings that I had started last year (see posts on 29 August, 30 October and 20 December 2015).

Working back and forth on both paintings, I first removed the miskit from the sailboats.

Next I indicated the top of the mast and put on the wind indicators with a dark mixture of French ultramarine blue and burnt sienna.

I also painted in the cabin doorway, the cabin window and the peoples' heads with the dark mix.

Lightening the colour with water I put in the spar at the bottom of the sail, and the shadows on the cabin and deck.

For Sailboat 5 painted the hull red using alizarin crimson and for the shadowed area on the stern I add a touch of burnt sienna.

For Sailboat 6 I painted the hull blue using cobalt blue and for the shadowed area on the stern I add a touch of burnt sienna.

With pencil I lightly indicated the shadows on the sail.

Sailboat 5

While deciding which colours I would use to do the sails I painted in the outboard motors on the stern of each boat with burnt sienna and cobalt blue.

Using a mix of French ultramarine blue and cobalt blue I put the first wash of colour on the darkest areas of shadow on the sails.

I gradually built up the colour on the sails with each layer of colour until I was pleased with the way the sails looked.

Once the sails were completely dry I added numbers and letters on the sails.

Next I painted the life jackets with a mix of cadmium red and cadmium yellow.

Lastly I put in a few darker waves.

If you would like more information about ACEO please go to my post on 11 March 2010.

The ACEO shown here are all original watercolour paintings using Artist quality Winsor & Newton paint on 140lb. Arches 100% rag, acid free watercolour paper. They are priced at $20.00 each and sold unframed.

Sailboat 6

No comments:

Post a Comment