Thursday, December 17, 2015

Hoturo - A Work in Progress

I really shouldn't have been surprised to see a flock of about eighty snow buntings flying around the infield of the track this afternoon; especially since last year with the snow having been so deep, we feed over two hundred of them for about a month until the weather warmed and some of the snow started to melt.

Having put in the under paint and blocked in the background on this piece earlier this month (see posts on 10 and 12 December 2015) I wanted to get more work done on this painting today.

Starting at the top of the painting on the sky I used ultramarine blue with a small amount of white.

I left some of the cloud areas untouched so the warmth of the cadmium red would show through the white.

I gradually lightened the sky colour as I worked down to the horizon line by adding a little more white and some cerulean blue.

Once the paint had dried I started adding the clouds using titanium white as the base and added various mixes of cerulean blue, ultramarine blue, with a small amount of burnt sienna.

I took clouds down into the tree tops of the closer shoreline so when I painted in the trees they would show through the branches.

Using various mixtures of ultramarine blue, Hansa yellow, cerulean blue and raw sienna I painted in the distant shoreline.

I will post this painting at a later date once I have put in the water and closer shoreline.

No comments:

Post a Comment