Thursday, September 17, 2015

Birch Autumn 1

I cut a few pieces of watercolour paper to the size that would fit into a couple of small frames, complete with mats that I had purchased a number of years ago.

I started by brushing a pale wash of French ultramarine blue across the paper and set each one aside to dry.

While they were drying, I mixed a mid tone green using Antwerp blue and raw sienna, followed by a dark green using the other blue with raw sienna.

With the light green and a sponge, I put in the lighter coloured tree leaves throughout the background.













With the dark green mixture, I put in the closer pine trees being careful to leave the birch tree trunks untouched.

Using a dark of French ultramarine blue and burnt sienna I painted in the rocks and the tree branches.

Next, I used a mix of both blues to put a few in ripples on the water.

Lastly, I used cadmium yellow and raw sienna to put the leaves onto the birch trees as well as adding in some bright sunlit spots throughout the painting.

This little original 3" x 4-1/2" watercolour painting when framed will be available for $75.00. SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment