Thursday, July 30, 2015

Haunting Reflections - A Work in Progress

I received this notice from Google this morning:

European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.

As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies.

You are responsible for confirming this notice actually works for your blog, and that it displays. If you employ other cookies, for example by adding third party features, this notice may not work for you.

I appreciate that Google keeps up on the laws of other countries to keep us out of trouble and for doing the work and putting this onto my blog to comply with European laws as I doubt I would have been able to figure out the codes.

Well, I have checked and confirmed that this notice works on my blog (see below).


Anyway, even though today has a nice breeze blowing and it is going to be a little cooler 83F (28.3C) and 93F (33.9C) with the humidity, than it was yesterday I decided to stay inside and looked through some of the paintings that I had already started including this one that I had painted the background sky (see post 04 February 2011) with plans to put the Alster Tower in the foreground.

It is one of eight structures, including Boldt Castle located on Heart (Hart) Island in the 1,000 Islands of the St. Lawrence River. It is located near Alexandria Bay, in Jefferson County, New York.

I went through the many photographs I had taken of the buildings whenever I had visited Boldt Castle over the years.

Since I wanted the structure reflected into the water I started my sketch of the Alster Tower showing the tower boat dock at the foot of the building.

The Tower was one of the first structures built on the island and was originally built for the entertainment of guests and as a play house for the Boldt family children. However it was occupied by the Boldt family during the first four years when the Castle was being constructed.  

Its design was inspired by the by the castles and towers found along the Rhine and Alster Rivers in Germany by King William, the German Emperor. 

Construction began on the Tower in 1897 and the building was completed in 1899 at a cost of $15,000.00. The six story Tower made of made of brown stone was deliberately built with slanting and uneven walls, ceilings, and roofs.  

There are two stairways leading to the top of the 90 foot (27.4m) tall tower, one on the outer wall of the building. The other is a stone spiral staircase inside the building allowing which when reaching the summit of the Tower guests are greeted by a magnificent view of the area.

I will post this piece at a later date once I have completed the drawing and transferred it to the watercolour paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment