Sunday, January 25, 2015

ACEO - Foggy Forest 1

We had snow overnight, but then the wind came up out of the west and swept the driveway clear right down to the ice. It was a colder day 16F (-9C) and the wind chill made it feel like 5F (-15C) and we can expect it to be colder tomorrow, oh joy.

I thought I would spend the day painting and I pulled out this piece that I had started a couple of years ago (30 September 2013).

First I put in the background with a pale wash of Antwerp blue and burnt sienna.

While the background was drying I made a pale mixture of burnt sienna and French ultramarine blue for the furthest back tree trunks.

Using the pale greyed brown I put in the furthest back tree trunks with very little detail. While these tree trunks were drying I darkened the colour slightly with the brown.

Changing the colour slightly with the blue I put in the next layer of trees and started indicating a few branches.















Again I darkened the colour adding in a little more brown to the mixture and put in the closer trees, adding the branches and giving more detail to the tree trunks. 

Again I darkened the tree colour mixture with a little more blue and did the three trees in the foreground adding more detail to them and more distinct branches.

Lastly, I used a slightly darker mix of the background colour and painted in the grasses and growies.

If you would like more information about ACEO please go to my post on 11 March 2010.

The ACEO shown here is an original watercolour painting using Artist quality Winsor & Newton paint on 140lb. Arches 100% rag, acid free watercolour paper. It is priced at $20.00 and sold unframed.

No comments:

Post a Comment