Saturday, December 6, 2014

ACEO - Winter 1

With it being December I thought I would be nice to do a snow scene. I started with the sky using French ultramarine blue in the top and gradually adding Antwerp blue into the sky toward the bottom half to the horizon line.

I added a little burnt sienna into the blue mixture and indicated the some of the shadows on the snow beneath where I would place the trees.

I darkened the shadow colour with a little more burnt sienna and put in the trees on the horizon line.















Once the paint was completely dry I indicated where the pine trees would be on the edge of the field.

Using mixes of French ultramarine blue, raw sienna and new gamboge I put in the pine needles on the trees.

With a dark of burnt sienna and French ultramarine blue I put in the tree trunk and branches and then added a few dead tree trunks among the live ones.















I put in some grasses and growies at the edge of the field and at the base of the trees with mixtures of burnt sienna and raw sienna.

If you would like more information about ACEO please go to my post on 11 March 2010.

The ACEO shown here is an original watercolour painting using Artist quality Winsor & Newton paint on 140lb. Arches 100% rag, acid free watercolour paper. It is priced at $20.00 and sold unframed.

No comments:

Post a Comment