Saturday, February 1, 2014

ACEO - Early Morning 3

This morning we had a wonderful sunrise with the clouds above and below the sun and a beautiful golden colour in the sky around the sun.

I decided I would use this sunrise for the sky in a drawing that I had started last year (see post on 09 June 2013)

I started by painting in the clouds using various mixtures of Antwerp blue, French ultramarine blue and alizarin crimson leaving a white area untouched for the sky and sun.

Once the sky was finished I used the same colours in the water leaving an area of white paper for the sun and golden sky.

Next with a mixture of cadmium yellow and new gamboge I put in the area of sky showing through the clouds being careful to keep the orb of the sun the pure white of the paper.














I repeated this into the water for the reflections from the sky.

Using a pale mix of French ultramarine blue and new gamboge I put in the trees on the horizon line.

Next I darkened the green mix and put the pine trees onto all the islands.

I put in the rocks at the base of the trees on the various islands, using burnt sienna, alizarin crimson and the two blues.

If you would like more information about ACEO please go to my post on 11 March 2010.

The ACEO shown here is an original watercolour painting using Artist quality Winsor & Newton paint on 140lb. Fabriano 100% cotton, acid free watercolour paper. It is priced at $20.00 and sold unframed.

No comments:

Post a Comment