Friday, January 3, 2014

ACEO - Overlooking the Lake 1

When we went back into the deep freeze yesterday with a high of -17F (-27C),  I thought it was cold enough especially with the wind chill taking it down to -24F (-31C). Well the cold isn't over yet as the day is starting off with -25F (-36C) and I haven't gone out to see what the wind chill is for the day yet, but at least it looks as though I will have a bright and sunny day and our high for the day is supposed to go up to -12F (-24C).

I thought I would like to finish this piece that I started last year (see post on 02 June 2013).

I started with the sky using French ultramarine blue and left an area of white for a snow cloud. While the paint was still wet I put in a little bit of burnt sienna to the underside of the cloud and blended it with the sky colour.














Using a slightly darker mix of the sky colour I put in the first layer of ice on the frozen lake.

While the lake was drying I mixed a green of French ultramarine blue and raw sienna I put in the smaller trees on the right side of the painting, and a couple of small trees on the distant hills in the far side of the lake.

Next I added a small amount of burnt sienna to the sky colour and darkened the ice on the lake slightly.














Using various mixtures of raw sienna, new gamboge, burnt sienna and alizarin crimson, I put in the various grasses and growies at the base of the pine trees as well as through some areas of the snow.

I added the darker lake colour to some areas of the foreground snow to give it a little depth.

With a mix of burnt sienna and French ultramarine blue I put in the foreground pine tree trunks and branches. I followed this with the various greens I used for the background pine trees and added the needles onto the trees.














If you would like more information about ACEO please go to my post on 11 March 2010.

The ACEO shown here is an original watercolour painting using Artist quality Winsor & Newton paint on 140lb. Arches 100% rag, acid free watercolour paper. It is priced at $20.00 and sold unframed.

No comments:

Post a Comment